International Syalons are an innovative materials company focused on manufacturing and developing advanced technical ceramics. We are now looking to expand our development efforts and are seeking to recruit a highly motivated Apprentice Ceramic Development Technologist.
Reporting to the Technical Director, the apprentice will be expected to work ‘hands-on’, carefully and precisely across multiple internally and externally driven advanced ceramic projects to produce accurate, reliable and well documented results.
The apprentice will study part-time towards a BEng (Hons) Materials Technology qualification in partnership with Sheffield Hallam University over 4 years as part of their pioneering degree apprenticeship programme. The tuition fees will be paid for by International Syalons, however the apprentice will be expected to travel to Sheffield Hallam University independently for some aspects of the course delivery.
– To study diligently the field of materials technology, particularly advanced ceramic engineering
– To keep detailed project notes and records up to date
– To work practically in the preparation of ceramic materials, and perform testing of material samples
– To operate equipment, be flexible in performing tasks, and assist production departments where necessary
– To assist in the scheduled maintenance and calibration of equipment
– To ensure work areas and equipment are kept clean and in good working order
– To adhere closely to health and safety policy and use appropriate PPE
– To work at all times in accordance with the company’s quality control systems and follow company procedures
– 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C) and A-Levels in science and technology subjects
– Ability to interact effectively with all levels of staff and perform tasks carefully and diligently
– Ability to follow instructions in a safe manner, and in accordance with established procedures
– Good IT skills (Microsoft Excel and Word)
Above NMW salary
No University tuition fees
25 days’ holiday per year
Continued support with personal development and career progression
Location: Wallsend, Newcastle upon Tyne
Hours of Work: Mon to Thurs 08.00 -16.00, Fri 06.00-12.00 (1 day per week at SHU)